Finding a job in a new city or a new industry can be a daunting task but it doesn’t have to be, especially if you have an accounting degree or previous experience. At any given time there are businesses of all shapes and sizes looking for bookkeepers, accounting clerks and accountants.
What types of accounting jobs are available in San Diego?
At the time of writing this article there are many full time accountant positions available with many opportunities for those specialized in payroll or accounts payable. There are also many positions available for accounting managers.
Regardless of year or season you can usually find a decent variety of accounting jobs in San Diego, with many temp jobs opening up during tax season.
What does an accounting professional in San Diego get paid?
Most bookkeepers in San Diego make roughly $38,000 per year while the average junior accountant in San Diego gets paid roughly $41,500. Senior accountants can expect a nice boost to roughly $75,000, which is well above the national average of $69,000.
Bear in mind that actual salaries can vary greatly depending on the size of the company you’re working for. Many larger companies pay well above the average while smaller companies may only hire a part-time accountant or bookkeeper.
What are working conditions like?
Typically accounting professionals can expect to work in a comfortable office environment but what this means and the specific work duties vary greatly based on the exact position and the company you end up working for. At a small company you might be the entire accounting department and have limited contact with other members of the business whereas a large company might have you working with an entire team of accountants.
Many smaller businesses and some large companies offer their accounting staff flexible hours or hire part time accounting staff so you can always find an employer willing to give you a schedule that works.
Where can you find an accounting job in San Diego?
Often the best way to find an accounting job is simply by asking around. You might not know many business owners in San Diego yet or many people at all but you never know who in your friend circle might have a connection.
If asking around doesn’t get you very far you can find accounting jobs on one of these sites:
- AccountingJobs.net – As you might have guessed from the name, Accountingjobs.net is a special job board for accounting jobs. They have separate job boards for many cities throughout the country(the link listed leads directly to San Diego’s). This job board often has the lower end accounting jobs listed but once in a while you find a real gem.
- Monster – This is one of the most popular job hunting sites on the web and they make it easy for you to search specifically for accounting jobs in San Diego. You can also sign up to receive similar jobs via email when they are posted.
- Career Builder – Career Builder indexes jobs from all over the country and offers an extremely advanced search function so you can really find the perfect accounting job for you. You can also upload up to three resumes and sign up to receive new job postings via email if you create an account with them.
- Indeed.com – Indeed.com is an incredibly powerful search engine specifically for jobs. They have extensive listings of jobs in all categories and allow you to narrow your search by job type and location. You can also narrow your search by estimated salary.
- SimplyHired – SimplyHired works a lot like Career Builder, allowing you to do a highly advanced search for the right job as well as giving you the option to create an account and post a resume. They also recommend specific companies based on your search terms.