Houston is a constantly growing city with a thriving accounting industry. As an accounting professional in Houston you will be able to choose what type of company you work for and what type of work you do. Even if you’re completely new to Houston or to accounting itself you can find a great job in the city so long as you have the right education.
What types of accounting jobs are there in Houston?
There are some bookkeeper positions at small companies throughout Houston but the vast majority of accounting jobs currently being created in Houston are full time accountant work. Only a handful of companies in Houston are large enough to have senior accountants or supervision staff.
What do accounting professionals in Houston typically get paid?
The average accountant in Houston gets paid roughly $46,000, which is well below the national average of $66,000. Senior accountants may be paid considerably more. Bookkeepers can expect to make $40-43,000 depending on the size of company they work for.
Of course, larger companies do tend to pay their accounting staff considerably more, with top accountants at the largest Houston companies sometimes making over $100,000 per year.
What are working conditions like?
Accountants can almost always expect to be treated quite well, especially when they’re doing a good job. Most companies will go out of their way to provide you with a comfortable workspace that minimizes potential for distractions. At a small company you may share an office with the rest of staff or have a small separate office. Larger accounting companies may have a separate office for the accounting department or provide you with a more lavish office.
If you’re working at a small company you can expect to work almost entirely by yourself and manage most or all financial transactions. At a larger company you will most likely work with a team of accounting professionals including bookkeepers and specialized accountants.
Throughout most of the year you can expect a regular 40 hour work week. Some employers may allow for flexible hours or even allow you to spend some time working at home. You will probably find yourself doing some overtime during tax season but this is not significant for most accountants.
Where can you find accounting jobs in Houston?
Whenever you’re looking for a job the first thing you should do is let all of your connections know that you’re looking. Even if you only know a handful of people in Houston you may end up getting a great job this way. Having a personal recommendation also always gives you a leg up when you’re applying for a position at a company you admire.
If you can’t find a job through your professional network try one of these sites:
- Monster.com – This site allows you to post a resume as well as searching for accounting jobs based on location and a variety of other criteria
- LinkedIn – Not only is this social network a great way to let your professional contacts know you’re looking for work, it also features an excellent job board where you can find accounting jobs from the top companies in Houston
- Indeed.com – Indeed.com is a specialized job search engine that allows you to look for jobs based on location, industry, salary and more
- CareerBuilder – This website has both a search engine and a profile area where you can upload up to three resumes for potential employers to view
- Craigslist – You’ll mostly find bookkeeper positions here, but once in a while you’ll find an excellent position posted by a larger company
There are many accounting jobs in Houston and the industry is always growing. As an accounting professional you can be assured of a long, excellent career in Houston.