Accounting may not seem glamorous at first glance but the financial services industry is constantly expanding and there are always new opportunities, especially in big cities like Los Angeles. Whether you’re new to accounting or simply new to Los Angeles you are sure to find a suitable opportunity working for a company you believe in.
What types of accounting jobs are there in Los Angeles?
Los Angeles is home to businesses of all shapes and sizes which means there are also many different types of accounting jobs available. Small Los Angeles companies will typically only hire a bookkeeper or one full time accountant whereas larger companies often have entire teams of accountants. Some companies hire specialized accountants to focus on specific areas of their finances such as accounts payable.
At the time of writing this article most positions available are for full time staff accountants with many open positions for senior accountants. This does tend to change depending on the time of year, with many companies looking to hire temporary accountants for tax prep during tax season.
What does a typical accountant make in Los Angeles?
Most junior accountants can expect to make roughly $51,000, with many senior accountants making $62,000 or more. If you manage to end up working for one of the city’s largest companies you can expect to make as much as $100,000.
What are working conditions like for accountants?
A good accountant can pretty much always expect to be treated well and given a comfortable office environment to work in. At a small company you will typically be responsible for most or all financial documents and accounting duties. At a larger company you will usually focus on a specific area of accounting and work with a team of accountants to pull all the finances together. You may have to share an office but many large companies will provide an office just for you.
Most accountants can count on a regular 40 hour work week with a little bit of overtime during tax season. You may have to work more overtime at a larger company.
Where can you find accounting jobs in Los Angeles?
Regardless of where you live the best way to find accounting jobs is always through your own personal connections. Even if you’re new to the city and don’t know any business owners your friends and family might be able to connect you with an awesome opportunity. You never know who you can connect with until you try.
If you really don’t know anyone in Los Angeles or you fail to find a job through your network you can also check out these job sites:
- CareerBuilder – This site allows you to post up to three different resumes as well as using the site’s job search function to find work based on location, industry and salary range
- LinkedIn – LinkedIn is a great way to keep in touch with all of your professional contacts and stay up to date with happenings in your network but it also features an extensive job board where you can find a wide variety of accounting positions
- Monster.com – This site is a lot like CareerBuilder, with an advanced search function that allows you to enter a variety of criteria and a section where you can post your resume
- Craigslist – You’re most likely to find bookkeeping positions for small businesses here but once in a while you’ll get a really exciting opportunity from a big company
- Indeed.com – One of the most popular job search sites in almost every industry, Indeed.com makes it easy for you to search for jobs in any industry based on a variety of criteria
Accounting is a booming industry with many opportunities, especially in Los Angeles and other large American cities. If at first you don’t find your dream job, don’t give up—new opportunities become available every day.