Accounting is a thriving industry with consistent growth throughout the world and particularly in New York where constant economic growth means there are always new clients available. As an accounting professional in New York you have many different options ranging from part time bookkeeper positions for small companies to full time senior accountant positions at massive conglomerates.
What types of accounting work are available in New York?
There are many different types of accounting jobs available in New York including assistant bookkeeper positions, tax preparer positions and senior accountant positions. The vast majority of positions available at the time of writing this article are for full time accountants. There are also several companies looking to hire financial analysts with a background in accounting.
What does the average accountant make in New York?
You can expect your salary to vary greatly depending on what type of company you work for and the exact position you choose, but full time junior accountants typically make roughly $61,000, with senior accountants often making $79,000+ per year. Many corporations pay even higher salaries, while small businesses may only be able to offer a lower salary.
What are working conditions like?
Again this depends largely on the type of company you end up working for. Small businesses will usually only have one accountant in charge of everything and sometimes only have a bookkeeper. At a large company you might be part of an accounting department, working with a large team to make sure all the numbers come out right. Some companies will have you share an office with the rest of staff or with just accounting staff; others will give you your own office.
Regardless of the company size you can usually expect to be well treated and given a comfortable office environment to work in. Companies are generally quite generous to their accountants, often offering hefty bonuses if you do excellent work. You’ll also be able to count on a regular 40 hour work week, although many accountants find themselves doing some overtime at tax season.
Where can you get an accounting job in New York?
Your own network is often the best place to get an accounting job, but if you’re new to the city and don’t know many business owners here yet you can find accounting jobs on any of these websites:
- Indeed.com – This is an incredibly useful job search engine which allows you to search for available positions based on a number of criteria including industry, location, job type and salary
- Craigslist – It would be a mistake to overlook this job board, especially if you want to work with small businesses; check the accounting section regularly to find interesting new jobs
- LinkedIn – A presence on this social network is absolutely crucial to professional life today, but have you ever used the actual job board? You can find excellent full time jobs from top level companies here
- Monster.com – A popular job search that also allows you to upload a resume so potential employers can find you
- SimplyHired – This is another job search engine that works a lot like Indeed.com, allowing you to search for jobs based on criteria such as location and industry
There are always many opportunities for experienced accountants in New York. Take some time to think about what type of company you want to work for before you start applying. As a qualified accountant you do get to pick and choose where you work. Make sure you take advantage of this freedom!