Businesses of all shapes and sizes need accounting professionals and the industry is constantly growing, especially in large cities like Phoenix. If you’re an accounting professional and you’re considering moving to Phoenix, you’ll be happy to know that there are many opportunities for accounting professionals of all kinds.
What types of accounting jobs are there?
There are many opportunities for full time accounting clerks and accountants in Phoenix at any given time. During tax season there are also many opportunities for part time tax preparers.
Small companies will typically hire bookkeepers—sometimes on a part time basis. Medium sized companies usually have one full time accountant and may have a bookkeeper working under the accountant, whereas larger companies often have entire teams of accountants and accounting clerks.
What do accounting professionals make?
A bookkeeper in Phoenix can usually expect to make around $37,000 with bookkeepers at larger companies earning roughly $42,000 per year. The average junior accountant makes $49,000 per year with accountants at larger companies often making up to $55,000. CPAs can expect to make $69,000 at most companies in Phoenix.
What are working conditions like?
Working conditions vary greatly depending on the size and type of company you end up working for, but most companies treat their accountants quite well. Small companies usually hire one accountant or bookkeeper to handle most or all financial transactions. Medium companies often have an accountant and a bookkeeper working together or even multiple accountants and large companies sometimes have entire accounting departments.
As an accountant you can expect to work 40 hours per week. Depending on the company you work for you may be able to choose your hours or even work from home during part of the week. You may have to work some overtime during tax season but for most accountants this is not a significant amount.
Where can you find an accounting job in Phoenix?
Start by asking your friends, family and professional connections in the area. Even if you don’t know any business owners or other accountants who live in Phoenix you never know who your network might be able to connect you to.
If your personal network doesn’t turn up any good leads you can also find accounting jobs on one of these sites:
- Indeed.com – Indeed.com is a search engine that allows you to find jobs based on a number of criteria including location, industry, job type and expected salary
- CareerBuilder – This site has a search engine function quite similar to the Indeed search engine but it also allows you to upload up to three resumes so employers can find you more easily as well
- SimplyHired – Another popular career-focused search engine that allows you to find jobs based on a number of criteria including industry and location
- Monster.com – Monster.com has a search engine option and also allows you to upload one resume. This is a great site to look at if you’re looking for a financial analyst position
- Craigslist – If you’re looking for bookkeeper positions this job board is the best one to check. Make sure you check the job boards daily; you can post your resume here but employers are far less likely to read it than they are on other sites
Remember to make sure your LinkedIn profile and any other professional social network accounts you have are fully up to date and that your resume has been thoroughly proofread before you start applying for jobs. New opportunities are being created all the time, so if you don’t find something you love right away make sure to keep looking.